Friday, July 24, 2009

The Unconfirmed Quotations Hit the Billboards:

How embarrassing for the Christian Nationalists. When confronted with the fact that they just shelled out lots of $$ to erect a board of a fake quote, one of them responds:

Others carry the same message but with fictional attribution, as with one billboard citing George Washington for the quote, "It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible."

"I don't believe there's a document in Washington's handwriting that has those words in that specific form," Kemple said. "However, if you look at Washington's quotes, including his farewell address, about the place of religion in the political sphere, there's no question he could have said those exact words."

2 comments:

James F. McGrath said...

Thanks for posting on this! I thought I should also mention that in Google Reader, the post shows up as lacking a title, which hinders those of us who might want to share it in the Reader feed in our blog sidebars.

Jonathan Rowe said...

Thanks. I need to change the format of this blog. The way I have it right now it is without titles. I usually care about delivering more traffic to my more widely read group blogs.