Monday, September 20, 2004

Linked on sexual orientation & anti-discrimination policy:

Thanks to Jason at Positive Liberty for a pretty detailed analysis of a post of mine regarding sexual orientation discrimination codes and libertarianism.

A couple of reactions: First when discussing what antidiscrimination policy actually entails, Jason puts it this way:

We must either [if we have no anti-discrimination laws] 1) infringe on the liberties of racial and other minorities by allowing bigots to discriminate or [if we do have antidiscrimination laws] 2) infringe on the liberties of bigots by forbidding bigots to discriminate. Given these options--and accepting the premise that someone will have to lose some liberty--Volokh chooses option two, albeit with some hesitation, because taking anyone's liberty is always a bad thing.


Now, I’m not sure I agree with this characterization. That is, I don’t agree that allowing bigots to discriminate infringes on the liberties of racial and other minorities, unless of course, the bigots are using the organs of government to do the discriminating. But when bigots are forbidden to discriminate in the private sector (using their own property—their businesses, their real estate, their capital) then I think this does infringe their liberty.

Let me use dating as an analogy. Say Phil asks Marcia out on a date. And Marcia thinks Phil is a real troll. So she says no and no date occurs. Has Marcia diminished Phil’s liberty? I don’t think so. Phil is left with the exact same set of possession after the rejection than he had before. But if we don’t allow Marcia to discriminate—if we force her to date Phil when she doesn’t want to—then I think it is clear that her liberty is diminished.

As far as the 1964 Civil Rights Act is concerned, I agree it was a good Act. But, in my mind, it was good for one reason and one reason only: It helped to put the final nail in the coffin of Jim Crow, which was a state enforced system of discrimination. To the extent that the Civil Rights Act presently forbids private parties from discriminating, with no connection whatsoever to any kind of government discrimination, it should be repealed.

Jason likes an idea that I put forward (but reject) regarding generic antidiscrimination policy that I later reject:

Jon Rowe hits on a formula that I much prefer, even while he himself seems to reject it later on. Here is the formula I like:

...a code that says something along the lines of "any and all job decisions shall be made strictly on the grounds of merit" and "any behavior that is not illegal shall not serve as grounds for adverse job decisions." Arguably gays--like smokers, pork-eaters, short people, red-heads, flat-chested women or those with breast implants, guys that are too skinny or who have a beard--would all be protected against adverse decisions under such a policy, even as they receive no special protection on the official "civil rights list" that includes race, gender, religion, age, etc.


As far as I know, some governments are actually subject to such a code. I think Colorado had a very similar one when the Romer v. Evans case was decided (That's what I was thinking of. As I remember, Scalia discusses it quite a bit in his dissent). And such a policy would indeed be workable in the public sector where just about all job applicants are taxpayers and ought to be treated as evenhandedly as possible (AND where government holds a monopoly, and can pass off the cost of irrational discrimination to the taxpayer, such a policy would probably help to guide government’s hand towards economically rational decisions).

However, the impression I got from his post, Jason might wish for such a policy to be mandated in the in the private sector; such a broad policy in the private sector would constitute a radical turn away from employment at will, which is the default rule (subject to quite a few exceptions nowadays—like anti-discrimination policy). But employment at will represents the maximum freedom that both sides of the employment contract possess. While I have no problem tying government’s hands with a rule that says, “merit only,” I would have a big problem with such a rule in the private sector as a major diminishment of freedom of employers. How would we, as employees like it, if we had to put forth such a reason if we wanted to leave a job?

23 comments:

alena said...

Nice Blog!!! It looks like you've spent a fair amount of time setting it up and keeping the content fresh. I'll be sure to come back.

I have a online dating blog. It pretty much covers dating guide related stuff.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

kalisekj said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going.

This may be of interest to you I have a free online dating service. It pretty much covers dating stuff.

I'll be sure to come back.

Online Incomes said...

Hey I just love your blog. I also have a online dating site
blog/site. I mostly deals with online dating site
Please come and check it out if you get the time!

Anonymous said...

Visited your online dating match site.

greetz

online dating match

Drunk Glory Hole said...

click for dating uk

stony said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a meet single site/blog. It pretty much covers meet single related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! Ilike it.I have Totally Free dating site for singlesTake a look if you have a minute. Thanks and have a good one!

Adult Personals said...

hehehehe good topic, like the site.

Anonymous said...

Came here searching for adult adult adult adult dating dating.info online online personals personals photo photo

Not a bad site you got here mate!

Check out mine
All about
adult adult adult adult dating dating.info online online personals personals photo photo

Adult Personals said...

Jupiter Research predicts that online dating will top revenue of $640 million in 2008.

What are you doing about it?

Urdate.net has finally launched its partner program.
By becoming an Urdate.net partner you will receive your own customized dating site, with full ftp access. You’ll possess complete control of your site’s design and enjoy earnings of up to 70% commission, $35 per signup, $6.50 per email or $1 per click!

If you are an existing Urdate.net affiliate and are earning more than $100, then you can become an iwantu.com partner and receive the following at no additional charge:

- A free dating domain name of your choice
- Free unlimited hosting
- A complete and functional dating site – customized with your brand and your site name.
- Full ftp access to your site – you entirely control the design!
- Full customer and technical support for your members. You are only in charge of the design and the traffic.
- We take care of all the credit card processing and member billing.
- You earn up to 70% commission, $35 per signup, $6.50 per email or $1 per click. Signup for one or more of our programs that best fits your marketing strategy.
- Fully integrated affiliate program.

Examples of some partners:

adult personals pic
adult personals pic
adult personals pic

And many others...


Easy one page registration: URdate.net

ioio said...

Great Blog! Ilike it.I have Totally Free dating site for singlesTake a look if you have a minute. Thanks and have a good one!

"sex dating" said...

Hi there Jon han, I am out surfing for the latest information on "sex dating" and found your site. Although this post wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it caught my attention and interest. I see now why Google pointed me to this page while I was searching for "sex dating" related stuff. Not the best fit, but I spent a few minutes reading some of the posts anyway- interesting.

Mary said...

Nice girl, seeking a man that has a sense of humor and who will satisfy me. See my personal profile with photos! ads adult dating
adult chat forum
[URL=http://www.adultbriendfinder.com/adult-chat-group.html]adult chat group[/URL]
[LINK=http://www.adultbriendfinder.com/adult-cyber-chat.html]adult cyber chat[/LINK]
http://www.adultbriendfinder.com/adult-sex-dating.htmladult sex dating
http://www.adultbriendfinder.com/cyber-sex-dating.html
[http://www.adultbriendfinder.com/free-dating-site.html free dating site]
[a href='http://www.adultbriendfinder.com/latina-personals.html']latina personals[/a]
[http://www.adultbriendfinder.com/local-sex-dating.html]

Jessica said...

Hi!
I like your story!
I have just found a nice dating website and uploaded my photo on it
Do you want to take a look at my photos?
http://www.livedatesearch.com/jessica/

You can also drop me a message from there.
Chao!
Jessica.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I like your story.
But you'd better take a look here to find a really DIFFERENT dating site.
Looks amazing, agree? :-)
You can also find my pics and more about me on my page www.livedatesearch.com/jessica
Read more about me or drop me a message from there.
Chao!
Jessica

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You have a nice website. How are you doing?

We would like to invite you to visit our new dating service.
And it is really different from others.

Just IMAGING you could know if your new dating partner likes you or not BEFORE contacting him/her...
So at the moment when you decide to send the first message - you already know one's attitude to you!

Sounds good?

Read more on our blog: livedatesearch.blogspot.com

Or go directly to Live Date Search.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I found your site as I was looking for people's opinions on adult chats and adult photo galleries. There a great community that talks about variety of adult chat and adult photo sharing...

Check it out

Regards,

Anonymous said...

I have here some online dating tips, maybe you'll be interested.

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品
A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

情色文學,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,AVDVD,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,成人論壇

A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

Make Money online said...

Nice to read your blog about online part time jobs to make money. I just write about a blog about the same keywords to promote the linsk here to get more traffic through us.





Make Money Online



Free part Time Jobs



Part Time Jobs

dating website said...

This is a great reading. Thanks for the post. we have audience that like to read this kind of posts. we will add this to our site. Thanking you. dating website

freedating said...

This is a great blog,this website provides very useful tips.we are going to add it to out free dating website and college information blog free dating website. http://www.universityloveconnection.com/blog so our visitors can read your news,as you are a reputable source.Thanks for free dating website.