Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Lester Kinsolving on Morton Downey:

Yes, I confess, when I was about 14 and 15, I used to watch Morton Downey Jr.'s show. My Dad, an old lefty, used to walk downstairs to where our family TV was located and scowl. I think we all knew Downey wasn't for real.

The difference between Howard Stern and Downey (the two were often compared to one another) is that Stern had real talent, offered something novel and clever. Downey was just a rehash, flash in the pan, repackaging of Joe Pyne.

And if you type his name into YouTube, some clips of Downey's TV show, which was entertaining for about two years, pop up.

This clip is noteworthy because it features Lester Kinsolving of WorldNutDaily. I'm often entertained by Kinsolving's lunatic rants about gays. And apparently, he's been doing this for a long, long time. Kinsolving is such a buffoon. He even gets under the skin of Downey and Bob Grant (another guest).

At one point, Downey grabs Kinsolving's "notes" and Kinsolving chases him around the set and is forcefully removed by security. But then is let back on the show. Downey also says Kinsovling looks like a fat Walter Mondale. And even though I'm not a fan of Mondale's, I'd say Downey, though he was trying to insult Kinsolving, delivered a far greater insult to Mondale.

No comments: