Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Reaction to my post on the Iraq War:

Reacting to my post, a reader writes:

Jonathan,

Like the way you think-love the way you write.

However, can't see Iraq as a good guys/bad guys thing. Guided missiles dismember and decapitate too and just because we say we don't mean to do it doesn't really dismiss the fact that we knew it might happen when we shoot them. They don't fight the way "good guys" are supposed to fight, but that's really the problem with war in the first place.

Secondly, I hope you are right about your second point-our motives are noble. I love to think that is what my country is about and always hope to elect leaders who see it that way. We are not occupiers, exploiters and imperialists. But history tells a different story and the world seems to know that about us. And if we have concluded we should be spreading democracy, who's next?

And then do we have the stomach?

No comments: