Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Grandpop was right!

My long since departed maternal grandfather could have bought riverfront property in Yardley, PA for a fraction of its present value back in the day. But he remembered the flood of 1955 (which had occurred fairly recently) and didn't want to risk it. And for a long time, it seemed like a foolish decision.

That area hadn't seen a flood like that in years -- since 1955. Until 2004 that is. And then it happened again in 2005. And now it's happened again in 2006.

As for me, I'm okay. Even though I have a Yardley mailing address, technically I live in Lower Makefield, and we are not on the river (thank God).

And there's also all of the other historic towns along the Delaware like Washington's Crossing and New Hope which are also now hit for the third time in two years with terrible floods.

Remind me not to buy riverfront property in my neck of the woods.

No comments: