Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Off to see Randy:

Going to see Randy Barnett speak at Robbie George's James Madison Program in American Ideals and Institutions at Princeton University (and next Friday's event on Locke also looks pretty tempting -- but I teach from 11:00am-1:00pm. Princeton is about 35 minutes away from where I live. But I've just got to see this part of the symposium: 1:45 pm - 3:15 pm: God and Equality in Locke, Jeremy Waldron, Columbia Law School, Michael Zuckert, University of Notre Dame. My class at Bucks County Community College lets out at 12:50; so I'll probably be driving straight from Newtown to Princeton, about 30 minutes).

Although I vehemently disagree with George on many social issues (after all, he did help to author the FMA), he is doing a great job with his program and deserves the $250,000 grant recently awarded to him.

But in fairness, see Andrew Sullivan's comments on some of George's positions. I agree with Sullivan. And Randy Barnett.

Update: The event was excellent as expected. Got Barnett to autograph my book. That was nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you, Jon. Thanks for coming.

Randy Barnett