Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Off to see Randy:

Going to see Randy Barnett speak at Robbie George's James Madison Program in American Ideals and Institutions at Princeton University (and next Friday's event on Locke also looks pretty tempting -- but I teach from 11:00am-1:00pm. Princeton is about 35 minutes away from where I live. But I've just got to see this part of the symposium: 1:45 pm - 3:15 pm: God and Equality in Locke, Jeremy Waldron, Columbia Law School, Michael Zuckert, University of Notre Dame. My class at Bucks County Community College lets out at 12:50; so I'll probably be driving straight from Newtown to Princeton, about 30 minutes).

Although I vehemently disagree with George on many social issues (after all, he did help to author the FMA), he is doing a great job with his program and deserves the $250,000 grant recently awarded to him.

But in fairness, see Andrew Sullivan's comments on some of George's positions. I agree with Sullivan. And Randy Barnett.

Update: The event was excellent as expected. Got Barnett to autograph my book. That was nice.


Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you, Jon. Thanks for coming.

Randy Barnett

Jonathan said...

Thank You!